Project No. 2012-27
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contract Value: $505,000
Completion Date: 2013
Owner/POC: Regional Transit Authority / Fred Basha / 504.827.8310 / Frederick.email@example.com
Project Specific Disciplines
- Energy Efficiency Design
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Historical Preservation
- QA/QC Management
- Project Management
The Carrolton Street Car Barn was built in 1893 and is considered a National Historic Structure. It remains today the primary repair/rebuild facility for streetcars and their components. It is a highly specialized facility that custom manufactures and machines the majority of parts used in the maintenance of the City’s street car line. Over its life, portions of the facility have been upgraded and usages have changed, but the building itself remains remarkably original.
Royal is contracted to provide professional architectural/engineering services and construction support services for renovation and upgrade of the facility to bring it to a modern standard. Preserving the architectural flavor of the building and developing a design complying with SHPO guidelines, facility needs, and current code is challenging. The focus of upgrades will be “green” with a design that embodies energy efficiency, low VOC materials, recycled materials, and sustainability while carefully balancing available funding, life cycle cost, and the environment.
- The roof, the roof support system, and roof mounted ventilators will be inspected and evaluated. Repairs and upgrades will be designed to meet current code and needs.
- Inspections will address the adequacy and code compliance of HVAC, Mechanical Systems, Electrical Systems and Distribution. Upgrades will be designed as necessary.
- Drainage systems will be improved.
- Interior and exterior lighting will be upgraded.
- Restrooms and lunchrooms will be reconfigured and brought to standards.
- Space requirements will be redefined in keeping with current standards and facility use, and interior office spaces reconfigured accordingly.
- Lifts and cranes will be upgraded to larger capacity.
- Overhead catenary systems will be replaced.
- Interior and exterior walls will be repainted and floors refinished.
- Industrial repair areas will receive resistant floor coatings consistent with their use.
- Overhead doors will be refurbished/replaced.
A unique requirement of the contract is to develop repair scenarios and sequences that will allow the Barn to remain functional throughout the repairs. Machinery and functions critical to the custom fabrication of replacement parts for the street cars cannot be taken out of production.
Royal will prepare bid construction documents, assist in evaluation of the bids, make award recommendation, provide construction oversight and inspections, and assist in closeout.